Clarity Comes From Action

"Action is the fastest and most direct route to clarity." 

-Marie Forleo, Everything is Figureoutable 

Most books and articles on career and business-building advise people seeking success to focus on a "niche," a specialty that will set you apart from your competitors. Basically, to be successful, you have to narrow your brand and be the person that people think of when they think (insert industry, craft or trade here).

This has always been somewhat of a challenge for me because I have never wanted to do just one thing, nor do I believe that I am only talented and suited for one particular field.

I want to do it all, and I truly believe that I can do it well.

Of course, like most people, I tried to focus. When I was little and people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, I'd spout off whatever idea had popped into my head that day...a ballerina, a lawyer, a teacher, a singer, a model! I figured that one day I'd grow up and just know what I was meant to do. And so I tried to be just a personal banker, just a fitness coach, just a teacher...but I always ended up feeling like something was missing, like I was meant for more.

Naturally, my solution to confusion is to go find answers, and the quickest way to do that is to get out there and try things. Any ideas that pop into my head get considered, and not for very long, either. It's way too easy to "logic" your way out of an idea that may seem far-fetched and, in my experience, those ideas never really go away until I explore them.

The way I see it, things will either work out phenomenally, or they won't. Either way, I won't know if I don't go for it. After all, nobody ever accomplished their dreams by thought alone.

I'm all of 30 years old and I've had about 18 jobs. Mind you, I started working at 16. If you do the math, that means I've had multiple jobs within the same year...more than once. I know that some people view that as flakiness and lack of commitment, and if you're reading this and you're one of those people, no worries. I'm not offended. It just means that you don't get me. In reality, my career-hopping demonstrates a willingness to take risks, to try new things, and to relentlessly pursue personal and professional fulfillment.



My challenge to you is to dig deep into your psyche and fish out the "crazy" ideas, the nagging "what ifs" and write down one actionable step you could take towards taking them from thought to reality. Then, decide on a day next week when  you will get it done. Are you like me and have too many to count? Pick the one that's been on your mind the most recently and go after it. Can't pick a favorite? Then pick two, and set aside two days next week to take a step towards them. The key here is to do something, anything to get you closer to making those thoughts a reality.

Having dreams is amazing, but won't get you anywhere if you don't do something about them. As the great Shonda Rhimes says, "Be a doer, not a dreamer."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleansing Your Oily Skin...With Oil??

The Lies I Was Told About The Causes of Acne

Here's The Thing About Us "Difficult" Women...