Cleansing Your Oily Skin...With Oil??

If you've had acne most of your life (like me), you've likely tried all kinds of products and treatments to try to get it under control. I have used everything from Proactiv and Dermalogica to Clean & Clear and Clearasil (remember when that was cool?).

The only bandwagon I absolutely refused to jump on was the one that claimed that people should cleanse their oily skin with oil. Any person with this skin type will tell you that oil is an absolute no-no, and that you should stay as far away from it as possible...right?

Wrong.



Oily skin is actually parched skin that overproduces its own moisture because it's not getting enough (the human body really is amazing). I have always been taught that I should wash the oil away and slather on oil-free products and ingredients to keep my skin as matte as possible. Turns out, that really only makes the oil production worse. 

Some initial research revealed that there may be some truth to this whole idea, but it became a confirmation for me after talking to a co-worker who said that she cleared her cystic acne with essential oil serums that she made herself.

I know, I know, a co-worker's word isn't enough to get you to slather the forbidden substance on your face but I did a little more digging and there is an overwhelming amount of research out there to back this up.

Why Cleansing With Oil Works 

I was no science major, but I do remember that oil and water don't mix. That means that when you simply wash your face, you're leaving behind oil that the soap and water simply can't get off. One thing I do remember from science is that like dissolves like. Using oil on your face dissolves excess sebum (the natural oil produced by your skin), taking blackheads, whiteheads, dead skin and pollutants with it.

How to Cleanse With Oil 

Oil cleansing is done with dry fingers on a dry face. The oil is applied directly to the skin (or makeup, if you wore some that day) and massaged for about one minute. Then, use a hot wash cloth to wipe the oil away. Don't have a wash cloth? No worries, just rinse your face with the warmest water you can stand for a good 30-60 seconds. The water does have to be on the hotter side, though, to get the oil off.

As an extra bonus, you can follow the oil cleanse up with a gentle face wash, a la Korean Beauty, four a double cleanse (I always do both steps, just to make sure my skin is extra clean).

Do I Still Need to Moisturize? 

Yes! Follow your cleanse with a toner and water-based moisturizer, like Neutrogena Hydroboost Gel. You can also create a DIY moisturizer with essential oils to target your specific skin concerns. Good oils for acne-prone skin are tea tree, lavender, and frankincense.

**TIP: Never, ever apply essential oil directly to your face. Instead, mix with a carrier oil like Olive or Jojoba to avoid irritating your already-sensitive skin**

Which Oil Should I Use? 

Currently, I'm trying to DIY my way through my skin care, so I've done tons of research on the best oils for oily skin. What I've found is that it depends on the level of moisture you're looking for, but here is a simple list:

-For a lightweight oil, try Jojoba. It's most similar to skin's sebum, which can trick the skin into producing less.
-For a medium, inexpensive oil, try Olive. Many of us have this lying around in our kitchen, so it's always handy.
-For a deeper hydration, try Argan oil. This oil is great for extra thirsty skin, or during winter months when the weather is very drying.

If you're not the DIY type and would rather buy a ready-to-use product, I highly recommend Clinique Take the Day Off Cleansing Oil. The first time I tried it, I fell in love with how quickly it dissolved my water-proof mascara and eyeliner, and didn't sting my eyes whatsoever.

I should include a side note here that I am in no way an expert or professional. The advice I offer is based on my own, personal experience, and as frustrating as it is to hear, everyone's skin is different. What works for me might not work for you. It's important to have a good understanding of your skin type and do your own research before you decide on a new skincare routine.

Comments

  1. Did you check my new article about pink lady apple nutrition .I hope you will love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've heard that drinking apple tea daily is really good for you, and now I understand why!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Lies I Was Told About The Causes of Acne

Here's The Thing About Us "Difficult" Women...